New York Truck Accident Lawyer
Were you or someone you love injured in an accident involving a semi-truck in New York? Find out how an experienced New York truck accident lawyer can help you get the compensation you deserve.
One of the most devastating types of vehicle accidents are truck accidents. When a passenger vehicle is involved in a wreck with an 18-wheeler or large delivery truck, the results can be catastrophic. If your life was affected by a truck accident, please call and schedule a free consultation with an experienced New York truck accident lawyer at Krause & Glassmith. You may be entitled to substantial financial compensation.
Read Our FREE Truck Accident Guide
Why Truck Accidents Happen in New York
Semi-truck drivers and drivers of other specific types of large vehicles need a special driver’s license known as a CDL. To obtain that license, they must pass a test. Since these drivers are professionals, why do truck accidents happen in New York?
Truck accidents can involve many factors. The most common factors include:
- Fatigued driving. According to both federal and state law, truck drivers are limited on the amount of time that they may spend behind the wheel. Sadly, they’re often assigned unreasonable deadlines and are pressured to drive when they shouldn’t.
- Distracted driving. Many truck accidents in New York happen because truck drivers aren’t devoting all of their attention to the road.
- Driving while under the influence. When someone has a CDL, they have a different blood-alcohol content limit. For passenger vehicle operators who are at least 21 years old, they may have a BAC of up to .08%. Drivers with a CDL may not have a BAC that is higher than .04%. Driving under the influence can be caused by illegal drugs, legal prescriptions, and alcohol.
- Semi-trucks take longer to stop than passenger vehicles. Unexpected traffic jams or cars pulling out in front of a truck are big issues. Because of the weight of the truck, it takes it much longer to come to a stop.
- Improper truck maintenance. Not all truck drivers are required to perform maintenance or to ensure that proper maintenance is performed on the truck. This may be the job of the company that employs the driver. When truck maintenance is neglected in any way, it can create a big danger to both the truck driver and the public. Defective parts used during maintenance may also cause accidents to happen. In those cases, the manufacturer of the part may be held responsible.
- Improperly loaded and secured trailers. Truck drivers aren’t always responsible for the loading and securing of the goods they’re being paid to transport, but sometimes they are. When the goods aren’t properly loaded and secured, seemingly simple acts such as making a turn can cause the load to shift. If that happens, it can cause the entire truck to lose control.
Truck Accident Victims and Families May Be Eligible for Financial Compensation
An experienced New York truck accident lawyer can help accident victims and their families get financially compensated because of how their lives changed. The compensation depends on the facts surrounding the case as well as the injuries and how they will continue to impact your life. The most common types of compensation include:
- Current medical expenses relating to the truck accident, including physical therapy or rehabilitation
- Medical expenses for future treatment, including physical therapy or rehabilitation
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of consortium
- Final expenses, including hospital expenses, burial expenses, and cremation expenses
- Loss of limb
- Temporary or permanent disability
- Lost wages
- Loss of ability to earn a living
- The costs associated with modifying your home and/or vehicle because of your injuries
- Property damage
- Mental anguish
- Emotional duress
Truck Accidents Can Be Complicated – You Must Protect Your Legal Rights
Truck accidents may have more than one defendant. There could be at least one insurance company involved. These sorts of cases can be difficult to sort out. Yet, it’s up to you to make sure that your legal rights are protected. You cannot hope or trust that the driver, the trucking company, the insurance company, or another possible defendant will do the right thing and take responsibility for what happened to you. You should schedule a free consultation with a dedicated New York truck accident lawyer at Krause & Glassmith. We’ll evaluate your case and help you protect your legal rights. To learn more about how we can help you, call us right away.
Read Our FREE Truck Accident Guide