New York Car Accident Lawyer Car accidents can be traumatic and painful experiences for victims. An experienced New York car accident lawyer can help victims through the legal process, and ensure they receive maximum compensation for their injuries.
New York has some of the highest traffic accident rates in the U.S., and often these accidents result in severe injuries for those involved. Each month, New York traffic accidents result in more than 11,000 emergency room visits and over 1,000 hospitalizations. Read Our Car Accident Guide
For victims, an accident can be an extremely difficult time. Victims must respond to a variety of challenges – both physical and financial – and the stress of an accident can put immense strain on victims and their families. Have you been injured in a motor vehicle accident in New York? An experienced New York car accident lawyer at Krause & Glassmith can help you fight for the damages you’ve suffered. When you hire one of our auto accident attorneys, we manage the entire legal process, from filing claims on your behalf, to negotiating with insurance companies, so you can focus on getting better. Contact us today to learn more about your legal options.
Common Causes of Car Accidents in New York
New York traffic laws are designed to protect motorists. Unfortunately, many accidents are caused when others fail to adhere to these regulations. Driver negligence (e.g. texting while driving or drowsy driving) causes a majority of accidents, and their negligence can have severe consequences for victims. Some of the most common causes of accidents include:
- Driver Error – This refers to accidents caused by drivers failing to obey the rules of the road, e.g. not yielding to right of way or following too closely.
- Distracted Driving – Driver distractions like texting while driving or changing a radio station are an example of negligence.
- Improper Maintenance – Commercial car companies must properly maintain their fleet vehicle, and if an accident is caused by a faulty part or lack of maintenance, the offending party may be at fault.
- Intoxicated Driving – A driver who causes an accident while intoxicated may be at fault for an accident.
- Reckless Driving – Excessive speed, failing to properly signal and improper passing are all examples of reckless driving.
This is just a small sample of how vehicle accidents may be caused. When you hire a New York car accident lawyer, your lawyer will work diligently to prove negligence or fault in a case. Our process includes a thorough investigation of the accident, contacting witnesses and law enforcement, and collecting other evidence to help you build your case.
Types of Compensation in Traffic Accident Cases
If you’ve been injured in an accident, you may be entitled to damages for the losses you’ve incurred. One of your attorneys key responsibilities is to fight for maximum compensation. Financial compensation can help to cover out-of-pocket expenses, as well as emotional, physical and financial suffering. Following a car accident in New York, we will help you fight to cover:
- Current and future medical expenses
- Rehabilitation costs
- Property damage or property loss
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of normal life
- Lost wages
- Loss of earning capacity
Protecting You Against Insurance Companies
The insurance company of the at-fault driver is not your friend. In fact, they will aggressively fight you to avoid paying a fair settlement, or may deny your claim altogether. A New York car accident lawyer helps to protect you against aggressive insurance adjusters. You are not required by law to talk with any insurance company. In fact, we recommend that you do not. When you hire us, we stand up for you and push back against aggressive tactics and bullying. Our job is to fight for the compensation that you need to fully recover from your accident.
What to Do After an Auto Accident
Car accidents are frightening experiences, and in the immediate aftermath, the safety of yourself and your passengers should be your chief concern. If you’ve been involved in an accident, there are a few steps you should take to protect your safety and your case:
Read Our Car Accident Guide
- Seek Medical Attention – Call 911 and wait for medical assistance. If you are in harm’s way, you should move to a safe location within visible distance of the scene.
- Call Police – Police officers on the scene will seek statements from the involved parties. If you’re able to, provide law enforcement with as many details of the accident and steps leading up to it that you can.
- Collect Evidence – If you are able to, you can begin collecting evidence. Take photos and video of the scene, and ask witnesses for their names and contact information. Additionally, document any injuries you have and damage to your vehicle. You also want to get the insurance contact and name of the other driver.
- Do Not Admit Fault – When talking with police, you should not admit fault. Offer any details that you can about the accident, but avoid talking about whose fault it was. This can hurt your case.
- Avoid Insurance Companies – You are not legally obligated to talk with the other driver’s insurance company. Refer any correspondence to your lawyer.
- Seek Legal Advice – If you’ve been involved in an accident, you should contact an experienced New York car accident lawyer immediately. The sooner you seek legal help, the better. A lawyer will help protect your case and begin the legal process.
Request a FREE Consultation
Many people who have been involved in an auto accident are confused about their options and who to ask for help. If you’ve been injured in an accident, the attorneys at Krause & Glassmith are here to offer advice and support. Call now for a free, no-obligation case evaluation. Our attorneys will help you determine if you have a case and what steps you should take next. Contact us today to speak with an experienced New York car accident lawyer. Let our experience work for you.